Pages

10 January 2011

New beginnings

I'm in class early this semester-- taking a week long class for work, that reviews some old things and teaches me a few new things.  It's actually fun.  Lots of hands on instead of death by PowerPoint.  I'll be in class from 9-5ish every day, with an exam on Friday where I have to get a certain score in order to get the certification that's offered with the course.  It's a lot of information in a short time, but it's all stuff I'm interested in, so I'm enjoying it.

Next week it starts for real again.  This time last year, I still hadn't been to transfer orientation and so still hadn't signed up for any classes.  I had no real idea what I was getting myself into, and so I wasn't very prepared.  This semester, I'm on medication(s), and going to have psych support all semester, and in general I'm used to being here now.  There's no more wondering where things are.  Yet, it does start again for real.

I'm still on academic probation this semester, so I'm still walking the same thin line.  I have no choice-- I have to get my GPA up this semester, or I'm out.  That's a lot of pressure.  I'm trying not to look at it that way.  In my last semester, I just slogged forward, never gave up trying, and things came out okay.  I'm not sure how dangerously I was living, though.  In two of my classes, passing grades may have been met by a point or two.  My classes don't get any easier. 

I initially signed up for 15 credits for spring, but I've already dropped that down to 12 (yes, even before classes start).  Continuing on probation means I need to keep my workload manageable.  I need lots of free time to study, sleep, and occasionally relax a little.  It's all math and logic and comp sci, and I'm looking forward to the semester.

Another semester of experience under my belt.  A few more lessons learned.  Forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like your comment to stay private, please let me know in your comment. Anonymous comments are also allowed.